Frying Pan Pizza.
If you didn’t already know, I love pizza. Like, seriously. LOVE.
I adore Dominos, I am happiest when I’m sitting in Pizza Express with a plate of balls and a glass of red, and BM (Before Monsters), I used to love making a boxing day pizza following Jamie’s recipies. People have bought me pizza stones and cutters for birthdays, I love love love.
So when I saw this on the TV the other day I was EXCITED, and decided to try a variation of it for me and the man. As it was Saturday night we didn’t do the salad. And I make my own topping sauce. But LOVED.
- 250 g strong white bread flour
- 250 g plain white flour
- 5 g powdered dried yeast
- 10 g salt
- 325 ml warm water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful coarse flour, for dusting
- 1 tsp sea salt
- For the Sauce
- Olive Oil
- Garlic (chopped)
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- For the Topping
- Well – this is open. I used basic Mozzarella, Tomato and Basil. But you can use whatever you want. I also love BBQ chicken and sweet peppers to.
- Pre-heat oven to 220C.
- Mix the flours, yeast, salt and water to form a sticky dough. Mix in the oil, then turn out onto a clean work surface and knead until smooth and silky. (Alternatively, if you have a mixer with a dough hook, mix the flours, yeast, salt and water on a low speed add the oil and knead for 10 minutes). Shape into a round and leave in a clean bowl covered with a plastic bag for about an hour, until it has doubled in size. (I used my blender with a dough hook)
- To make the tomato sauce, heat olive oil in a pan, add garlic, chopped tomatoes and herbs. Simmer with lid on until reduced to a quick sauce.
- Knock back the dough and separate into balls depending on the size of the pan you’re going to use and how thick you like your pizza base – you can freeze any you don’t use at this point. Roll out the dough into a circle that will fit into your frying pan and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Heat some olive oil in an oven-proof frying pan and drop in the pizza base, cook for a couple of minutes until crispy on the bottom then flip over. Turn the heat down and spread the cooked side with tomato relish. Then add the toppings.
- Put the whole pan in the oven for a few minutes or until the cheese has melted and the base has finished cooking.