This is one of my favourite recipes. It was on the Simon Mayo Drive Time programme. I had to tweak it in a few places due to total lack of preparation and not having all the ingredients in, and I’ve also changed it to fit to our tastes.
Total Prep to Serve time 45mins
1 tsp ground cloves
½ tsp of ground fenugreek seeds
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 tbsps grated (peeled) fresh root ginger
1 tsp turmeric
2 red chillies – chopped
2 tbsps tomato puree
300ml pomegranate, blueberry & acai smoothie (by Innocent)
400g of mini chicken fillets
1 hand full of blueberries
Pomegranate and Fresh Corriander leaves to garnish
What you do
- Pour the olive oil into a deep saucepan & heat, add the cloves & fenugreek & cook over a high heat until the seeds start to sizzle – this should take no more than 1-2 mins.
- Remove the pan from the heat & allow the oil to cool slightly.
- Add the garlic & ginger to the pan & cook over a low-medium heat until they are a golden brown colour, stirring frequently – this should take no more than 2-3 mins. (If the garlic & ginger stick to the pan, add a few drops of cold water).
- Add the turmeric, mix well & cook for about 20 secs.
- Now add the chillies, tomato puree & fruit smoothie.
- Mix well & bring to a rapid simmer.
- Add the chicken to the pan, mix well & bring to a gentle simmer.
- Cook uncovered for 10 mins or until the chicken is cooked & tender, stirring occasionally.
- With 5 minutes left add a handful of fresh blueberries and stir
- Serve on top of rice
- Garnish with the pomegranate seeds & chopped coriander.