Hot and Spicy Prawns
Curries are possibly our favourite meals of all time, especially on a Saturday.
We both like spicy food for different reasons – him because he’s “MAN”, me because then at least I have to have some self control as I don’t want my mouth to be too burnt so that it prevents me from eating my chocolate!
This is a curry I’ve been doing for years, as with the gnocchi recipe I have NO idea where it’s come from, it’s written down in one of my cards in my recipe box and I like making this to pretend I’m a proper grown-up chef. Yes I’m aware how that sounds.
- heaped tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground corriander
- squeeze of lemon juice
- heaped tsp red chilli powder
- heaped tsp tmeric
- heaped tsp garam masala
- 500g cooked prawns
- 1 diced onion
- 400g chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp tomatopurée
- 1 tbsp lazy garlic
- 4 green chillis finely chopped
- handful of corriander leaves
- 2 tsp sugar
- Grind together the garlic, chillis, cummin seeds and salt until it resembles some sort of paste
- In a large pan heat a glug of olive oil and heat on a medium heat, adding the onions until the begin to brown
- Add the garlic chilli paste and cook for 2 mins, stirring all the time
- Add the ground cumin, ground corriander, red chilli powder, and tumeric and fry for a few seconds before adding the sugar and garam masala. Stir for a couple of minutes on a medium heat.
- Stir in the chopped tomoatoes, tomato puree and a squeeze of lemon before cooking for 5 minutes – still stirring continuously
- Finally bring the heat down to the lowest setting, add the prawns, stir and leave to simmer until they are tender.
- Serve with Naan and Rice.